Do you get a lot of SPAM?
We do. A ton. Of all different types. There’s the Viagra SPAM that thankfully ends up in the filter and the more direct, unsolicited email that finds its way (unfortunately) into our email boxes. Without exception, everyone has an agenda:
- Buy our leads!
- Outsource your development to us!
- NEW SERVICE you just have to use!
- We will SEO your site. You want that!
A lot of people have a particularly innocent request — they’d like us to share their content. An innocent enough request but an unsolicited email in no way guarantees that we will share it — or that we’d even want to. (We do, after all, create content ourselves…)
A recent interaction with a particularly persistent spammer named Peggy prompted us to create the following graphic breaking down How to Get Shares: The SPAM-y way versus the Social Way.
How to Get Shares
The number one way to get shares is to create awesome shareable content!
When that fails, you have two options:
The Spam-y Way
- Find industry-specific blogs that have blogged on the same or similar topics.
- Email them & ask them to share.
- Continue to email until you get a response. It will probably be “NO.”
- Never ever look up the definition of SPAM.
The Social Way
- Develop relationships with relevant thought leaders on Twitter/Pinterest/Facebook.
- Share their content.
- Strike up a conversation socially.
- Ask them to share your content. Be prepared for them to say “no.”
Social media is social. Sharing starts with relationships!